Sunday, January 5, 2014

Delayed

2014 has to be better than how it has started. Granted, yes, it technically began at midnight on January 1st at a phenomenal concert with some of my favorite people. But, it swiftly went downhill from there. 

We have been in Chicago for the holidays for a year now. Ok, not that long, but it feels that way. We have tried to go home several times. We drove to the airport, checked in for flights... Hell, we even boarded a plane once (and sat there for two hours). But, countless delays, a hotel stay, three cancelled flights, a lot of tears, and finally just going back to my in-law's later... we are still here. The combination of weather and FAA regulations have people sleeping in the airport, news crews interviewing annoyed airline customers, and planes sitting at the terminals. Honestly, there is so much more that goes into it than I ever care to understand. But, the bottom line is - we cannot go home. If it were just me and my husband we would live at Midway to get on the next standby flight; but, we have two children with us. Children who need beds, rest, decent meals, etc. 

It has been a constant guessing game. Will the plane take off today? The answer has been "no". Will our flight be missing a pilot or another essential member of the crew? More than likely. Are flight attendants that essential??? Turns out, yes, they are. Should we stand in the line at the gate to speak to an agent? Or call? Or brave the line at the ticket counter? Doesn't make that much of a difference. Feed the kids lunch or sit here in hopes we board the flight? Feed them; you're not going anywhere. Should I cry? Yes. 

I suppose this is the part where I reach a higher level of appreciation for the situation. *I'll try* I am so thankful we have somewhere to go. We did spend the first night in a hotel since my in-law's house is an hour away. We were sure we'd spend one inconvenient night in a room with both of our kids and then we would be on our way home. Fools. Once we were exhausted after day two at the airport, second cancelled flight, and a night sharing a bed with a toddler... we gave up and headed back to the suburbs. We had to buy new pajamas, underwear, and other essentials; did I mention we are without our luggage? *ugh* But, we have our own rooms and the ability to wash our clothes and eat home cooked meals. We don't have our coats or hats in this below freezing weather - so we haven't left the house. But, it absolutely could be worse. I am also very grateful my children are with me. If I were stranded somewhere trying to get home to them I would have completely lost my mind by now. I have snuggled on them both so many times and said, "I'm so glad I'm with you" through gritted teeth. But, any other greater understanding from all of this is lost on me. I just want to go home. 

All of this has left me feeling very behind in the new year. Delayed. Just like our flights and return home. I am the type who takes control at the beginning of the year. I love making lists and deciding what I can improve upon. Last year held a lot of changes for my health. And now, after a very long holiday, I am desperate to get back to that healthy lifestyle. I am dying to go to yoga and would be content with never looking at a Christmas cookie again. I want to clean my house. Unpack. Do our laundry. My children want their bedrooms. Their toys. Their home. I know Craig would like to return to work! The day before we were originally scheduled to fly to Dallas I said to Craig, "If we are delayed for whatever reason I am going to cry." It had already been a long trip. Little did I know what was in store for us. Kendan has been begging for a week now, "I wanna go home!" We all do, buddy. Mommy, Daddy, Brother... and everyone stuck in the airport. 

Tomorrow we try again. We are rebooked again. We will drive to the airport again. We will check in, go through security, and wait at the gate AGAIN. We may board the plane one more time and hopefully, hopefully take off and then land in Dallas. Almost a full week into 2014 we will finally be home. *Please* As delayed as our start into the new year may be, I plan to make the best of it. I have so much anticipation built up for getting this year going. Until then, I will sit in pajamas, eat delicious homemade food, love on my family, and enjoy this forced hiatus from productive life. For only one more day. I hope. 
Beyond annoyed at the airport!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! I am SO sorry! Can't even imagine, I probably would have had a nervous breakdown or killed someone by now! Praying you are already on your way home...

    ReplyDelete